We’ve Gone Virtual!
For the coming weeks, as we are all practicing social distancing and homeschooling kiddos, the Watershed Council will release river-related activities to do at home or on the river. These will be a wide variety of topics, from macroinvertebrate studies to writing in nature. You can view our YouTube channel here, and each week’s curriculum will be posted below with a link to the specific video. This is a tough time for everyone in our watershed right now, but remember: the rivers are here for us.
Watershed Ed Virtual – Curriculum
- Week 1 – Macroinvertebrate Study and Inventory (Video)
- Week 2 – What is a Watershed? (Video)
- Week 3 – Water Footprinting (Video)
- Week 4 – Earth Day Haiku Writing! (Video)
- Week 5 – Plumbing the Colorado River (Video)
Eagle River Watershed Council strives to take “a proactive approach to education and conservation” and to do so, we stress the importance of hands-on, place-based learning here in Eagle County. The Watershed Council’s educational programming includes in-school presentations and activities. We are also very fortunate to be able to utilize our restoration projects, which often double as practical, outdoor classrooms. We take classes out on the river for first-hand observation, hands-on sampling & testing, as well as service learning projects.
We take pride in our versatile approach to watershed education. Our lessons cover topics including but not limited to general watershed composition & health; water law & water policy; water chemistry; riparian flora & fauna; water resources around the West; water history; wetlands; water quality & threats to our waterways.Below you will find an inventory of the lessons we teach and the ways in which they reinforce standards set by the Colorado Department of Education.
We understand that classrooms are dynamic and creative places. We are thus happy to incorporate any of these topics into a lesson plan that builds upon and works within your curriculum.
Many thanks to our partner schools:
- Brush Creek Elementary School
- Eagle Valley Elementary School
- Eagle Valley High School
- Edwards Elementary School
- Gypsum Creek Middle School
- Homestake Peak School of Expeditionary Learning
- June Creek Elementary School
- Red Hill Elementary School
- Red Sandstone Elementary School
- Stone Creek Charter School
- Vail Christian High School
- Vail Mountain School (Middle & High School)
- Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy
For more information & to get involved with our Watershed Ed program, please email email@example.com or call (970) 827-5406.